WHY SEE A PROSTHODONTIST? | Why do you need to consult a Prosthodontist?
Many dental problems can be corrected by a general dentist, but more complex cases often require a coordinated and multi-disciplinary approach, employing the expertise of perhaps several different dental or medical specialists. The role of the Prosthodontist in these cases is best described as being the architect or quarterback of the dental team.
You may need the expertise of a Prosthodontist for one or more of these reasons:
- You are seeking a specialist’s opinion
- Your treatment requires the care of several dental specialists
- You want to improve the esthetics of your smile
- You are missing one or more teeth
- You have damaged or worn teeth
- You are interested in dental implants
- You wear dentures or removable partial dentures
A Prosthodontist is a Dental Specialist who:
- specializes in the esthetic restoration and replacement of teeth,
- has received three years of full-time additional training after becoming a dentist
- restores optimum appearance & function to your smile.
The training for prosthodontists is earned through a hospital or university-based program which is accredited by the American and/or Canadian Dental Associations. The training includes reviews of the literature, lectures, treatment of patients and laboratory experience in fabricating restorations.
Prosthodontics is one of the dental specialties recognized by the American & Canadian Dental Associations. Graduate programs in Prosthodontics include classroom lectures and seminars, laboratory and clinical training in esthetics/cosmetics, crowns, bridges, veneers, inlays, complete and removable partial dentures, dental implants, TMD-jaw joint problems, traumatic injuries to the mouth’s structures, congenital or birth anomalies to teeth, snoring, sleep disorders, and oral cancer reconstruction and continuing care.
Prosthodontists are trained to treat complex oral rehabilitations & reconstructions involving dental implants, fixed and removable prostheses. They are the skilled architects who can treatment plan & restore optimum function and appearance to your smile.
We will be pleased to see you for your initial consultation. We invite you to call, email or visit us in person for an appointment.